A good friend of mine is a faithful blogger. She is always telling new tales of what her family is up to and posting pictures of her beautiful daughter. Since they moved out of Utah, her blog is one more way for us to stay connected. I love it!
Last night I read a post on her blog that bugged me. She was apologizing to the readers of her blog for a posting that I didn't think was offensive or needed apology. Her posting in question and the "cause of offense" showed pictures of several people helping her pack and thanking them. It was so sweet and kind, so sincere and heartfelt. She was thanking them for helping her pack and move.
Somebody took offense to not being mentioned and some of the wording that was used. I assure you my friend was not meaning them any harm or being malicious on purpose. How irritating for the reader to actually think my friend was harming them on purpose!
2 years ago I wrote a separate blog entry that is its own blog for my Grandaddy's funeral. I sent the link to my sister and she forwarded it to several family members without my knowledge or permission. I wasn't bothered. Just surprised when family members were calling and emailing me about my blog. All that read and commented to me loved what I wrote. One family member however wrote me a very hurtful and extremely rude email in response to their feelings about my blog. I was stunned that my blog had been read and taken in the way this family member had taken it. I was so hurt by their comments and saddened that I had hurt them that I hid one blog and deleted another.
I then realized something I should have known all along and stopped hiding my blogs - a blog is a public journal. Its my space. I write what I want and post photos I want. If you or this family member are offended by something I post, well that's your problem. Its not my job to write my life's adventures to everyone else's pleasing. If you don't like it, its ok. But don't write me a nasty worded email expecting my opinion to change, or the posting you didn't like to be edited. Our differences are what make us interesting. I say we should embrace them rather than point them out and treat each other rudely.
And so to my friend who had the misfortune of this offended reader chastising her I offer some borrowed advice in the words of Robert Mitchum, "There just isn't any pleasing some people. The trick is to stop trying"
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
DITTO!!!
WOW! You fixed your blog's html and it looks lovely!! BTW I agree with everything you say. You Rock!
Post a Comment