Friday, January 14, 2011

Cameras add 10 lbs? Thats all???

I'm having issues these days with what I look like. Actually what size I am. The funny thing is I've been bigger. To be exact 4 sizes bigger. And a few years ago I lost some weight and got down to a size I've been able to maintain for almost 2 years now. I've gained 12 pounds, but stayed in the same clothing size. That's a giant accomplishment. I know this. But I can't seem to find joy or goodness in it after seeing a video of myself. I've been fine with pictures but this video has suddenly caused me self-image issues.

I entered a contest this week for a clothing company. It was a model search. After an evening at dinner with a couple girlfriends I goofily had the thought to enter (thanks to their motivation and encouragement). So I made my video and sent it in. And after watching the video over and over again all I can think is how terrible it looks (I mean how I look). Especially from behind. And why did I enter. And why haven't I worked harder to be a smaller size.

Let's not get into the fact that I'm almost 6 ft tall and built like a boy thanks to my genetics. Let's not forget I wasn't raised knowing portion sizes or proper daily calorie totals. Let's also not forget that I had a hard year last year with a family death, a stomach issue that went so far as a colonoscopy, a parent's almost divorce, I moved away from a roommate of 2.5 years, and I bought a house. And still managed to wear the same clothes. Must keep reminding myself this.

Plus as if my own self talk isn't enough, we were given fleece vests at work. I was given a ladies 2XL. Seriously! It draped me. It was so baggy! I was shocked that the administrative assistant thought that size would fit me! I took it back to her and she offered me a 1XL. I refused and asked for an XL which I tried on in front of her and showed how sveltely that fit. So that's been a bit of a bur in my side too. The woman actually thought a 2X would fit me. Maybe her image of me is what I thought after watching that movie. Guess I should relax on her a bit.

Today is day 3 of a challenge I made myself. I've got a dvd by Jillian Michaels (the amazing, kick butt, no excuses trainer from "the Biggest Loser") that is HARD! I'm talking PX90 hard. And I've made a challenge to myself to do it for 30 days straight. And if you know me, I'll do it. Hello, I have no knee cartilage and yet I trained to run a half marathon. I can so do this kick butt dvd for 30 days straight. And my hope is that at the end of the 30 days I'm one size smaller.

1 comment:

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

Awesome!! You are so beautiful and definitely can be a model! The best advice I can give you after losing 40 lbs in one year is that make small lifestyle changes. Sometimes when you push yourself too fast you may crash and burn. This has happened to me before. What ended up actually working was all the little things...no more elevators, no more driving everywhere. After dinner walks, more vegetables. A moderate exercise plan of 1 hour 3 times a week. If there is too much stress at first the body may not respond well and can make you physically ill. Every one wants instant results but the lifestyle changes are what gets the weight off and keeps it off for the rest of your life.

Keep me updated! Jia You!! (Means "add oil" in Chinese aka "Go! Go! Go!")