Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Seriously sooooo blessed!

Wednesday is little sister night at my house. I've got a friend I volunteer to hang out with and be a mentor for through BBBSU. Tonight I surprised my little with going to see the Justin Bieber movie in 3D. And it was so fun! She brought me a rose that was from an activity she was in last night and she was so happy and chatty. I finally felt like she looked forward to our night! Its a fantastic change!

Since last August I've had my little and its been rough. Not at all what I expected. There's the obvious time commitment that can be tough to manage each week, along with trying to be this little person's friend and not feeling like she cares if I was to leave her life tomorrow. I've considered quitting many times, but remembered my one year commitment to the program. And maybe its just my pride, but I'm no quitter.

Being a mentor is hard! And as I've learned more about my little and her family, memories of my own childhood have surfaced. I wonder what friends, teachers, or church leaders thought of my growing up and saw for my future. I want my little to succeed and her family life is a bit frustrating to me. Hopefully, continuing to be a part of my little's life will be a positive influence on her, and her future.

And while I'm being grateful for a good evening with my little friend I had quite a few other thoughts on my way home in reflection of the evening. I've got a great job with a very stable company. And I'm so grateful for all I continue to learn and look forward to new work opportunities that can come. I love my little house and I'm very grateful that I actually bought a house. Still pinch myself that I did THAT. LOL. I've got amazing friends. I'm part of a family that loves me just as I am. And don't forget my furry chocolate girl - I love how she encourages me to be active and is my best example of totally enjoying the simple things.

Hopefully you know you're soooooo blessed. And loved. By me. :-)

No comments: