Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Finishing what I once started

It was 15 years ago that I graduated from high school. And that same year I started college. Two years later, I stopped college and got to work. A lot was going on in my life during that time to make the decision to stop school. I thought I would get back soon, within a couple years. Funny thing about plans, they don't always go how we think.

I've been a hard worker and had a successful career. I have a resume that shows just over 9 years in Procurement. That makes me feel successful. However, lingering in the back of my mind has been the unfinished degree. A lot has changed in my life since I stopped college. I'm a totally different person now. And I don't quit things or leave them half done.

In August of this year I made the decision to enroll and finish college. Between working full time and my church responsibilities and my HOA duties and volunteering with the Sheriff's office, it was so hard to adjust and fit school in. This isn't independent study. Every week I've got assignments and quizzes and discussion board posts due. This is work. And its tough. But I'm learning. And enjoying it!

I'm a week and half away from my first semester back being finished. And I'm registered and ready for my next semester. I'm proud to say I've got credits that transferred from my first time in college so I'm not starting from nothing. And my first semester gpa is a 4.0 even with all my busy life commitments.

I didn't follow the ideal plan of finishing college after high school. I'm doing the work now and I'm more committed than ever. And, if you know me, you know I've got heart and conviction to complete my goals. I won't stop until its done this time.

Fall of 2014 be ready for my announcement. This girl will be finished with her Bachelor's degree!

No comments: