Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Merry Christmas, and Have a Nice Life

Well its a few hours until 2013 is finished and here I sit remembering the year and hold curiosity of the year to come. No doubt that 2014 will be yet another one to remember. Let me tell you what I remember most about 2013.

In January I went on a cruise with a good friend and made some new friends. I recommend a winter escape any time you can from the Arctic tundra. Especially for a sun worshipper like myself. The caribbean is a place I could live. And someday I'd be fine if that was a reality.

I finished Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall semester in school. I've been able to maintain an overall 3.75 gpa and I am ecstatic at that accomplishment!!!! Its amazing to me how hard I work and how much I balance, but how somehow it all gets done. I'm convinced going to school full time and working full time at the same time is preparing me for motherhood. No, really.

Since I was working and going to school basically non-stop I haven't really travelled this year. There was my Thanksgiving break to Southern California and I enjoyed time with my great-grandmother and great-aunts and a very dear friend. And of course I took Miss P along and we have pictures from our day at the beach. Those will have to get me through the Winter since I'll miss my cruise thanks to a heavy school load this next semester.

There was a relationship that lasted more than half the year that ended a bit abruptly. And while I wasn't ready for it to end I can't help but be grateful for the person I loved and who reminded me how good it feels when you're both invested 100%. In the end I can't be sad at the end. Im just grateful I was all in and had somebody who showed me more of what I do and don't want in a mate. And they just helped me get one more step closer to that person by leaving my life.

Babies were born. Two boys to two different friends. There was dear Grayson who scared us all and came 6 weeks early. But went home earlier than the doctors had anticipated. Then there's the thus far un-named little brother to Beau who arrived yesterday, just 2 days before the end of the year. I'm excited to be the adopted Auntie to these little people and continue to be part of the lives of their parents, my dear friends.

With all the goodness and accomplishments and new arrivals and blessings of life, there was also a couple deaths in my world this year. One of my oldest friends lost her dad this year. A man who I adored and often watched with his grandchildren. He always had time for them, not matter how he felt. He married his high school sweetheart, who I consider one of my bonus moms, and he adored that woman to the end of the universe. His most important lesson was that our family is who we invite into our lives. He and his wife loved me as their daughter's friend and made sure I was always welcome. And he also made it clear he didn't judge, and loved people for just being part of his world. I always admired that in him. No wonder his sweetheart has struggled missing him since his passing.

Then there was a second death. I worked with a man for 5 years who was my boss and was like a second dad to me. He met my dad at company summer parties and became more protective of me after their first handshake. Somehow it was unspoken that when my dad wasn't around Jim was to take his place. He was a rough guy who always spoke his mind. He was a cowboy and always let us know when "he looked purdy". He reminded me to embrace my assertive nature and to work hard because "nobody was going to give me nothing I didn't work hard" to get. He was always telling me "keep smiling girl" and continually complimented my bubbly nature. I sat across the aisle from him and I watched him handle stress. We laughed at the insanity of our coworkers and the responsibilities of our job. When he was laid off we kept in contact as friends. Jim had faith that he didn't always know the plan or what God was going to show him, but that he'd be ok. His death came as a result of cancer. He was gone not even two months after chemo treatments. The last time we talked I remember telling him I loved him and keep fighting, and I sobbed uncontrollably when we hung up. I knew that was the last time we'd talk. Sadly, I was correct.

My friend Jim was not a man that mixed words. We used to tease him about goofy things he'd say to us, his buyers. One time he was a little irritated and told a guy he was "going to do a slam-dance on his head" while another time he hollered, "hey, children of the corn" when we may have been a bit unruly. And then there was the joke of all jokes, an employee who quit and Jim asked if he wanted to come pickup his final paycheck. The quitting employee asked why he would want to come back in, and Jim told him so he could "wish him a Merry Christmas and have a nice life". Over the years of knowing Jim we knew if he said the same to any of us he wasn't in a good mood and to re-assess our behavior. Often, it was a joke on the team if we told one of the other "Merry Christmas and have a nice life". It was an inside joke, our proof we were part of the life of a man who left too soon.

So, my friends, thank you for being part of my life this year. I'm looking forward to our lives in 2014.






No comments: