Sunday, April 13, 2008

5 hours and a flat tire



For the first time in my 28 year old (one week from 29) life, I changed a flat tire. My cars have had low air in tires before and I've been able to make it to the gas station for more air or to the tire shop to get the semi-flat fixed. The tire I changed yesterday was FLAT. No air.

It was early in the morning - before 9am on a Saturday. The radio was off and I was still half asleep. I got in my car and headed downtown Salt Lake City. I didn't notice the flat until I had gotten to the end of my street (about 5 houses away from my house). The front right side of my car was slightly tilted. I got out and looked and found a completely flat tire wondering what I had driven over to cause this. Shaking my head I drove back home and parked my car for what I thought would be a few hours.


You see, I had planned to audition for the "Deal or No Deal" show that was casting in Salt Lake City that morning and was now faced with not being able to go. You can't drive a car with 3 tires, and I'd never changed a flat before. I'd primped and gotten beautiful for the audition and was simply not dressed to change the tire. And, if I took the time to change the tire and then go to the audition I feared I'd arrive to an even longer line of people.
My roommate had woken up when I came back home and she let me take her Jeep. Once again, I headed downtown. After five hours of waiting in line I got my 20 seconds to tell the casting director about me. Yes, that's what I said - 20 seconds after 5 hours of waiting. I made it memorable. I told them I've had 5 step dads, 6 knee surgeries, my niece's middle name is Skittles, and bad things happen on my birthday - Oklahoma City Bombing, WACO, day before Columbine. Definitely unique things about me!

After I got home I was able to change the tire - with the supervision of my roommate's boyfriend. I wanted to change it myself but wanted supervision in case I got too confused or wasn't strong enough. This was a boy job, but I wanted to cross it off my list of things to have done. And let me tell you, it was so empowering!! I don't want to change every flat tire I know about or even my next one. But, it was a great feeling to know I could do it. Should I get stranded someplace with a flat that wasn't in my own driveway, I could take care of changing my tire and get heading on my way. Too bad Grandaddy wasn't around to call and tell. He would have been so proud of his Pickles.

And...... the 5 hour wait......I'm not sure I WANT to be on "Deal or No Deal". Don't get me wrong, if I'm called to be a contestant, I'll go. I went to the audition to get out of my comfort zone. I went by myself. I stood in a line of strangers for 5 hours. And I talked to another stranger about my life. Telling very personal and unique things about me. It was scary! It was COMPLETELY out of my comfort zone! And I almost quit a couple times. My back ached and my knees were swollen close to half way into my wait. But, I didn't quit. I could have taken the flat tire as some kind of sign or excuse NOT to go to the audition, but I didn't. And the reward of how I feel is worth every second of the 5 hour line!

1 comment:

Bouwhuis Bunch said...

Dang I always miss the good stuff!!