Friday, April 18, 2008

Tough Morning

Today did not start well. I can't help but laugh at how it all happened. But I assure you, my morning did not start well.

I woke up and was on my way to put Pili out as I do every morning, but today I smelled a terrible smell in the house. I found nothing upstairs and she was dancing to go out so I took her to the yard and resumed my search for the smell downstairs. Sure enough, I found what I smelled. Sometime in the night Pili had an accident. I gathered supplies and started cleaning. My roommate came out of her room mid-process and chatted with me and opened the window. She put her dog out with my dog and left for work. I finished cleaning and went to get dressed and ready for the rest of my day.

On my way through the kitchen I noticed the dog's outside water was low. I considered heading out to fill it right then but I decided to get on my bathrobe and not just go out in my nightgown and underclothes as I often do. As I tied my bathrobe and pulled the door shut behind me I remembered the door was still locked from the night. I attempted to open the door and was unable to. I had in fact locked myself out. I swore. And then began laughing. I was wearing no shoes, was home alone, had no keys or cell phone, and it was 8am. I found my way into the backyard and talked to the dogs and gave them fresh water. Suddenly I remembered the basement window that we had opened. The window is half underground and there is a window well you have to climb into to access the window. I sat on the ground with my legs dangling in the window well trying to pry off the screen with no luck. I needed a butter knife or a thin stick. But, none were in sight.

My roommate's family lives at the end of our street and her sister-in-law is a stay at home mom. I decided to walk up to their house and see if she'd let me call my boss and borrow a butter knife. I walked up the street and the cold pavement burned my feet with each step. When I got to the house and knocked on the door nobody answered. I again started laughing and left to return back to my house to just break the screen when I noticed a little further up the road my roommate's good friend was outside cleaning the windows of her car. I continued walking up the street with the cold pavement still burning my feet and met Mary to tell her my story. She let me use her phone and got me a knife and even drove me back to my house. I again climbed into the window well and with the help of the knife the screen came right off. I got in the house through window and came upstairs and out of the house to thank Mary for saving me.

A few things I've learned from this.......Anytime you go outside, wear shoes and be fully covered. Keep a spare key in a designated location.

1 comment:

Bouwhuis Bunch said...

Oh Honey!! I can't stop laughing!! I sure wish I had been one of those neighbors who could have seen this!! I would have recorded it!! We love you and are glad you learned from the situation!!