Tuesday, November 25, 2008

CHICAGO!



A week ago my good friend Jeremy and I went to visit our friend Kristen who lives about 90 minutes from Chicago. She has been attending Notre Dame University and will be coming home to Utah in the Spring. We have been wanting to go visit since Summer of last year, and we finally got the chance.

Chicago is a lot of fun! I loved the feeling of the big city but I didn't feel overwhelmed or as unsafe as I had in New York. There is a feeling of distinction to Chicago. It is rich with history and culture to explore. I think Chicago is officially in my top 10 favorite cities.
We got to see the Navy Pier, ride the ferris wheel at the Pier, explored the Sears Tower, Shedd Aquarium, The Field Museum, The Adler Planetarium, shopping at Trader Joes, ate deep dish pizza, and wandered the Magnificent mile. I felt completely satisifed with our adventures and felt we had really seen Chicago.

Also very amazing to me this trip was touring Notre Dame. I loved the architecture of the buildings, the beauty of the basilica on campus, and the school pride that seems to be evident across the country, not just on campus.
.
On our way to the airport to head back to Salt Lake we were planning to do some more shopping in the city. In our excitement and chatter we took a wrong exit off the freeway and I saw a sign directing us towards Harpo Studios. If you don't know what Harpo Studios is, let me tell you - Its the home of the Oprah Winfrey Show. I am a long time fan of Oprah and tried unsuccessfully to get tickets to a taping before we went to Chicago. We followed the sign I saw and ended up finding Harpo Studios. I was more excited than a kid at Christmas! The only thing better would have been to be in the audience. But trust me, I was so excited and have continued to be to just have had the opportunity to sit outside the studio and drive around the block. It was a dream come true!!!


Here are a few pictures from our adventures



I'm trying to figure out the pop-out map. Such a cool map of the city!





Eating a Chicago Dog




President-elect Obama signs were everywhere. Illinois is proud of their governor becoming US President







Me and Kristen at the Hard Rock Cafe

















Kristen, me, Jeremy at the entrance to Navy Pier






The Ferris Wheel at Navy Pier






Kristen, Sarah, Russell, me, Jeremy after enjoying pizza






With Sue at the Field Museum




My favorite new man :-)




Notre Dame Stadium


Outside the basilica on Notre Dame Campus




Inside the basilica



Kristen and Jeremy in the grotto.




Me at Harpo Studios!!!!!!









2 comments:

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

Your trip looks so much fun! So envious! I would love to go to chicago. It's just one of those places I really don't have a reason to go. Maybe one day. BTW tell me what's different about a chicago hotdog.

Anonymous said...

Wow! That looks like SO much fun!!! I'm so jealous you got to go there!