Monday, June 1, 2009

And....... I'm OUT!

Well friends, I'm officially out of running the Wasatch Back now. I hurt my knee 2 weeks ago when I crashed my friend's scooter and the pain won't stop. I went to the knee doctor today and he told me I shouldn't have been training in the first place, but that I'm now to get a substitute to take my place.

I'm disappointed and sad and frustrated. I've been busting my butt since the first of February and was doing so great. My training was going well and my knees were doing great.

I'm proud of myself! This race is not easy and is a challenge! I've proven over the last four months that I am not lazy. That my body is capable of more than I thought. And I can make and accomplish hard goals with persistence and a ton of effort. And I'm most proud that I'm not out because I hurt myself training. I was working hard and doing it the right way and my body proved that to me by being able to handle it.

As for the knee, the doc thinks I have a cartilage tear. For the next 3 weeks I'm doing my own physical therapy. Since I'm pretty physically active and promised not to run he let me do PT on my own. And in 3 weeks I'm heading back in to get a check-up. The hope is that the PT heals the knee and doesn't need surgery.

And since I've got the time off work already I'm gonna be a volunteer for the race. Who could be a more excited, motivated, encouraging volunteer than a runner who can no longer run?

3 comments:

Jer said...

You SHOULD be proud of yourself! Giving us cartilage-plenty people a bad name. Marathon, or no Marathon, the training itself is quite a feat.

Courtney said...

You are very kind to say that. I really appreciate the encouragement. :-)

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

I'm still impressed that you trained so much cuz I HATE running!!!!