After returning to work from the Christmas Holiday it seemed I had a better time Christmas Eve and Christmas Day than almost everyone I talked to. There was a friend who spent Christmas Eve in bed with a headache, another friend who stressed about what they didn't or rather couldn't buy their friends and family, another had a fight with her dad and spent Christmas day surrounded by family and not talking to him, and the list goes on and on.
My Christmas break began with being off work Christmas Eve. I woke up late (8 am) and after getting ready took some bagels to a supplier we do a large amount of business with. I heard they were working Christmas Eve and decided they needed a little cheer. They were completely surprised and it was so fun to disrupt their day with some joy. After the bagel delivery I stopped at the store to get ingredients to make a pumpkin cheesecake for the dinner I was attending later that night. After the cheesecake baked I took Pili to the dog park and let her play for almost an hour while enduring the 21 degree temperature. Watching her run around the park and get into the water made me giggle and I couldn't help but let her play a little longer. After I took Pili home I loaded the car and headed to my friend Jenn's house for dinner and secret Santa gift exchange. Jenn had spent the whole day cooking and she had done a great job! Her funeral potatoes were so delicious! And I couldn't stop eating ham. Better to load up on protein than carbs I suppose. We played Scattergories and teased one another and laughed until our sides ached. Our group of friends is a fun bunch and sometimes our nights together are drama filled with boyfriends to gossip about or kids misbehaving or just being ugly to one another. It happens. But Christmas Eve we played and laughed and completely enjoyed each other. It was a home filled with love and friendship.
After the friend party on Christmas Eve I went with Jenn, Mike and Sean to Mike's family's house. We made a paper Christmas tree that was taped to the wall. And we made paper chains and paper ornaments that were posted to the tree on the wall. Mike's dad decided it was cleaner and cheaper to do a tree of paper so it is a new tradition in their family. After making the tree we played guys versus girls Taboo. When that was over we headed to midnight Mass. This was a new experience for me. It was the first time I'd been to Catholic Mass. I went because I was invited and it seemed respectful to participate fully in the Christmas Eve I'd been invited to. At Mass I didn't feel completely comfortable. The service was beautiful and I appreciated the beliefs of the congregation but there were things I don't believe and couldn't be part of should I want to be a Catholic. In my religion there is a love of God rather than a fear. Over and over in the words of the Monsignor was expressions of fear for God instead of how much love God has for us. Not dressing up for church was interesting to me. On one hand I thought it was cool to come as you are, but on the other hand I wanted to be respectful of being in a house of God and felt that could be better conveyed dressing up to attend services. The prayers said were rehearsed. I've been taught that I can talk to God in my prayers and have an open conversation rather than reciting a century old prayer. The incense in the gold tin that purified the alter and then the congregation was interesting to me. Most interesting to me was listening to the story of Jesus' birth being read from the bible. I can't recall the word I heard differently numerous times, but I know in the version I have heard for years, "All went to be taxed including Mary and Joseph". The collection plates being passed through the congregation was interesting. Rather than donating a certain amount from all congregation members privately in an envelope many people didn't donate and many donated whatever was in their pocket. I felt like a secret spy as I noticed differences in our beliefs. I wanted all to know what I know, but I knew this setting was not the time to try to express what I know and wished they could all know. In the end, I know I was amongst believers of God and we were celebrating the birth of Jesus. That's what Christmas is all about after all.
Christmas Day I woke up at 8 am after going to bed at 2 am and took Pili to play at the dog park. While Pili ran around I talked to my Dad and Bekah and Carson who were having a great Christmas breakfast. After taking Pili home I headed to Ogden to the home of my roommate Anna's family. Anna's mom makes a delicious treat called Christmas Tree bread that is shaped as a tree from how its folded. It a cinnamon roll tree minus the cinnamon and plus cherries and it has a fantastic sugar glaze. We enjoyed the bread and headed to Anna's Grandma's house. The house was full of cousins and siblings and Grandma and me. And I felt like just another member of the family. We enjoyed dinner and the traditional Christmas picture and played games. On the way back to Anna's parents house I rode in the backseat with Anna and her 3 sisters. We had the youngest sister laying on her belly across our laps. And the half mile ride back from Grandma's house we pinched and tickled the sister that lay across our laps. Back at Anna's family's house I was given my own stocking that had the same treats as Anna and her sisters. Anna's sweet mom made my day with this simple gift! Not having contact with my mom I forget the "Mom things" that are done for children at Christmas. I felt so loved and fully part of their family celebration. I wasn't an outsider who had been invited so they weren't home alone. I was an invited guest who was loved and treated as if I was part of their family. There is no better gift than that.
When I left Anna's family I went home for a couple hours and met Jenn and Sean and Mike for a movie. Since I was 17 its been a tradition to see a movie Christmas Day. This year we saw "Sherlock Holmes" which was action packed and had very smart writing. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I had 2 more days off work to enjoy the Christmas holiday that I spent home alone with Pili. Both my roommates were home with their families and that was fine by me. A little time alone is always enjoyable. I enjoyed treats Anna's mom sent me home with and wore comfy clothes and watched chick flicks.
I went back to work having had 4 days full of fun and love. I felt so lucky and loved to have had such a great holiday! How blessed I am to be surrounded with such great people. I truly hope I return the favor and make them feel as valuable and loved in my life all the rest of the year, and not just on Christmas.
Wednesday, December 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment