This last week a group of ladies at work and I went to the opening night of Sex and the City 2. I was a devoted fan of the series when it was on HBO and I completely enjoyed the first Sex and the City movie. The second one - not so much.
Through the TV series and the first movie I felt I could relate to the characters. Not entirely, but parts of them I saw in myself. The 4 girlfriends were as close as sisters. It was fun. Their clothes and purses and shoes were fabulous and a fantasy to be owned by me. And the dating experiences were true to life. It was so great to have somebody portraying what you or your friend(s) were going through seeking our own Big or Aidan or Harry. I found a guilty pleasure in Sex and the City that I've lost with the latest movie.
This time around, the women of Sex and the City are married, married with children, and single going through menopause. None of these situations exist in my life. Sure, the clothes were fabulous and as always fun to see. The men were sinfully beautiful. And as always there was the sisterhood that existed within the 4 main characters. But for me Sex and the City no longer feels relateable to my life.
In my life I'm the only single in my office (not counting any bitter divorcees). All my best girlfriends are married. All but a couple of them have children. Take note, this is not a post by a sad girl. I LOVE my life! I'm single and fabulous and waiting for the next stage to come along when its time. When it happens it happens and until then I will continue to rock the stage I'm in. Its just that now that the ladies of my favorite series who were the most fantastically fun single girls are moved on in their lives as well as all of my dearest friends, I can't help but wonder if I'm the last single girl standing.
TV shows and movies aren't reality. I know this. Really. However, the stories are an escape from our real lives and that's why we love them - the escape factor, the non-reality that they are. I wish I could get past the feeling that even the women of Sex and the City have moved on with the next stage of their lives as with everybody in my life while I'm still enjoying and exploring all that my single life has to offer. Because if I could get past it, I could probably enjoy the latest movie more than I did.
And on a side note - I had a blind date this weekend that was a lot of fun! Good conversation, beautiful man, great weather. No plans were made for another outing, but it was a good date. And my friends a good date isn't a common occurrence for me. So I am glad to have the moment to brag about and look back on with a smile.
Sunday, May 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment