Thursday, April 21, 2011

California - Day 4





This was my last day in Cali and we played from sun up to sun down. Seriously. The day started with me and Jeremy driving from West Covina to Anaheim. And we took the train from Anaheim to San Diego. I honestly believe the train is too under-used. More people should ride trains.


After leaving the house at 7 am, which meant getting up at 6 am for me, we got to the Anaheim station for our 8am train with a little time to spare. The ride to San Diego was 2 hours, and I wanted to sleep but only got about a half hour nap. You see, the night before I'd gone to bed around midnight but couldn't get to sleep too easily. There was a bird that was singing and talking outside my window. If I had access to a bb gun that night I'd have used it. Instead I read a bit to fall asleep and remember getting sleepy around 1 am. So that meant only 5 hours of sleep. Oy!



After the train pulled into San Diego my friend Rosie picked me and Jer up and we headed to her house. She moved to SD 18 months ago and I've missed her! We chatted and toured her house before hopping on beach cruisers and headed for the boardwalk. Rosie and her 2 fabulous roommates all have beach cruisers so there were 3 bikes for our adventures that day and they had no issue sharing. I LOVED having the bikes and LOVED their generosity!


At the beach we rode from Pacific Beach to Mission Beach and then halfway back to Pacific Beach we stopped for breakfast/brunch. I had the most delicious Ocean Benny- eggs benedict with smoked salmon and fresh fruit. Delish!


We headed back to Rosie's house and loaded up the cruisers into her Jeep. Jeremy and I were folded into the Jeep into the very little space that was left. Seriously we were so cramped, but it was SO FUN! And after we squeezed in we headed to the Children's cove. The views were breathtaking and there were so many sea lions to see lounging in the cove and on the rocks.


After the cove we squeezed back into the jeep and headed to the Coronado island ferry. When we were pulling out the cruisers there was a group of elementary school kids who looked to be on a field trip who started singing Happy Birthday to me. Rosie got so excited and told them it had been my birthday the day before and suddenly the kids were starting the song over, and were louder. It was so adorable!


We were in a rush to get to the ferry and ended up missing the ferry, barely. Instead of waiting for an hour for the next ferry we raced our cruisers to another ferry that was leaving in 25 minutes. We got there with about 5 mins to spare and made it over to Coronado Island.


We rode our cruisers around the island heading for the Hotel Del Coronado. What an amazing building! It was built in 1888 and is still this amazing structure! It was so worth seeing!


Before heading back on the ferry we stopped into a Greek place and a local man was in there with his adorable, 2 year old black lab named Moxie. I could not stop petting her and making her do tricks! She was so sweet and just reminded me of my chocolate princess waiting for me back home. Sweet Moxie made me really miss Pili.


Once we got back to downtown SD we loaded up the cruisers and returned them to Rosie's house. Then it was time to end the evening with a treat. We headed back to downtown SD to a place called "Extraordinary Desserts" and oh my they were! My sweet treat was called ivoire royale which was a slice of 3 layered vanilla cake that had white frosting between the layers. The frosting layers also had blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. The top of the cake had white chocolate shavings all over it. It tasted light and was fruity and delicious!!


After our treat we headed to the train station to get ourselves back to Anaheim, and then drove back to West Covina. After packing and showering I crawled into bed just after midnight. I woke up at 5:40 and changed my clothes and brushed my teeth and we left for the airport at 6 am. My breakfast was another treat from extraordinary desserts - a raspberry pastry that's bottom layer was shortbread and philo dough. It was a great way to wake up considering how tired I was.


And now I'm home in Utah with my Pili after a really fabulous week in California!

No comments: