Saturday, October 18, 2008

It could always be worse.....


Last Saturday night was date night. My roommates and I found each other dates and we were gonna make tinfoil dinners at the house and then head up the canyon for a campfire and watch "IronMan" on a laptop.

The weather messed up our plans, but as you know I'm a planner and had a plan B. So instead we watched the movie at the house sitting in camp chairs in our living room, cooked tinfoil dinners in the oven, and made s'mores indoors too. Basically we brought the outside indoors for a night.

In addition to the weather being terrible, my date no-showed. I put on a brave face and enjoyed the evening up until the movie. I couldn't take it any longer so I left everybody upstairs and went to my room to wash my face and crawl into bed with my Pili girl and have a good cry.

Even worse than being stood-up was when my date and his roommate sat next to me at church the next day. I hadn't recognized the roommate when he asked if he could sit by me, but I sure recognized the jerk on the other side of him. The nerve! I was shocked and angry and had to keep my cool and not let them ruin church for me.

I spent a good amount of Sunday wondering what I had done to deserve my date ditching me. It really messed with my self esteem and made me feel pretty bad that my date didn't want to show up.

Sunday night I got a phone message that changed my attitude of the entire weekend. My best friend Cherisse's mom had called me. Cherisse had asked her to get a hold of me because she couldn't call me herself. The message was to let me know she'd lost her baby.

Immediately I was overcome with sadness for my friend and the pain of being stood-up was gone. Cherisse has been married for 3 years, is 34, and they have been trying to have a baby for a year. She was 12 weeks into the pregnancy. It has been devastating to her. If anybody can get through this I know its her. She's tough and has a great support of family and friends.

I talked to her on Tuesday when she called to thank me for the flowers I'd sent. She loves Calla Lillies and I thought she needed some to look at. Any amount of cheer I can bring to her right now I'll do it. She's still sad, but she's coping.

Dating isn't always simple. Life isn't always fair. Things rarely turn out the way we wanted or had planned. But - no matter how bad something in our life may be...... things could always be worse.


2 comments:

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

I wonder why the guy didn't come to you at church an explain himself. Well if he doesn't have a backbone, he wouldn't have been a good guy to date. Maybe it's good you got a spark notes version instead of having to read the whole novel! ;) But anyway, I love that service always makes one feel better. I need to always keep that in mind.

Courtney said...

I wondered why too. But like you said - if he doesn't have a backbone he isn't a good guy to date. His loss. ;-)

Service is the BEST remedy when we feel sad! The best way to snap us out of our rut!