Friday, October 10, 2008

Motherhood Ain't for Sissies!

Today is day 3 of my 4 day babysitting gig. A neighbor is a single mom and from time to time I babysit for her. Her kids are a 7 year old girl and a 9 year old boy. Usually our time together is a Saturday night into Sunday morning. The kids have been with me this week because their mom had surgery.

As I've picked up the kids from school and taken them to football practice and dropped them off at school and made after school snacks and separated arguments and reminded them to brush teeth and to potty before bed and searched for stuffed animals and brushed hair into the perfect ponytail I've considered how tough and yet how crucial a mother's role is to a child.

The last 3 days I have actually talked to people other than Pili before getting to work. I went to bed even later than usual and got up earlier than usual and haven't been as tired as usual. I had to deal with bed wetting and pouting and realizing as we pulled up to school somebody forgot their glasses back at the house.

Being a mom is a treasured job. It is a huge responsibility that I am grateful women are given. I hope when its my turn to be somebody's mom (other than Pili) that I can fulfil the role entirely and make my children proud of who their mother is.

2 comments:

V.a.n.e.s.s.a said...

You sound like you'll be a great mom. That is one thing I struggle with...the mom gene isn't really flowing in me right now. I'm working on it. Give it five years. But you, my friend, are a natural.

Courtney said...

Thanks Ness. And for what its worth I think you've got a lot of love to give. Can't wait to see you with little ones running around!