Today we were marooned in Moses Lake, Washington which is a small town of approx 15,000 people. The summer sun has dried out the town and green grass is a rare site to see. Tumbleweeds blew past the car while we sat at a stoplight and I couldn't help but feel completely out of my element. I felt very spoiled by all the beauty that surrounds me at home in Salt Lake. I found myself missing the majestic Wasatch mountains today.
Our journey brought us here to visit my sister Cylvia, brother Matthew, and his wife Stephanie and their 3 daughters. Those plans were interrupted due to almost 2 weeks ago Matthew went to jail and his children were taken into custody by child protective services. Tomorrow there is a family meeting with social services and I'll be attending that with my dad. The outcome of that meeting could be life changing for members of my family and my 3 nieces. I'll update as I know more.
We did get a visit from my sister Cylvia tonight. Spending time with her was a challenge. A few weeks ago she shaved her head in support of my nieces who had their heads shaved from having severe lice. Opening the hotel room door to see Cylvia it seemed I didn't recognize her until she spoke. Other than her shaved head life seems to be going well. She is moving to a coastal town this weekend and excited for the change of scenery.
A couple things bothered me from conversation discussed with my sister. It seems a member of the family is living out of their car and has kept it secret for a month now. There is another family member who has a license to grow and sell medical marijuana and that is their sole income.
I often wonder if I was raised by the same people my siblings were how it is that I'm not as dysfunctional as them. My family seems to have a lion's share of dysfunction and somehow I'm a productive, "normal" member of society. I'm grateful. I wish my siblings could also have the awesome, productive, loving life that I have created.
Other than exploring Moses Lake we basically spent the day out of the car and in the hotel. It was nice to not have work deadlines or alarm clocks. I'm enjoying vacation amongst the never ending family drama.
After the meeting tomorrow, we're heading to Portland.
Oh, one more thing - I checked in with Wes and JoAnne and they were in brighter spirits from yesterday. They were able to move in to their apartment today.
Friday, August 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Love it!! who doesn't love a little okay a lot of family drama!! Glad you and your dad are safe and having a nice vacation from the world as you know it!!
Make the best of it. Hopefully you'll get to drive past greener parts of Washington on your way to Portland. There are some amazing forests just south of you. Glad to hear Wes finally got into the apartment. Thanks for the update.
Post a Comment