Monday, August 10, 2009

Day 5 - Crater Lake



We left Eugene this morning heading south on scenic Rogue Highway to Roseburg and then East to Crater Lake. The two lane Rogue Highway drove directly through several national forests. I loved watching the river that ran parallel to the highway twist and flow through the forest. There were many boat launch sites, but I never saw a canoe or raft come down the river.

When we arrived at Crater Lake I saw a National Parks sign. I hadn't realized it was a national park. I decided I'd find out more about Crater than just the obvious - its beautiful blue color.

Here's what I learned:

Crater Lake is on the crest of the Cascade Mountain range, about 100 miles east of the Pacific Ocean. It lies inside a volcanic basin that was created when Mount Mazama collapsed nearly 8,000 years ago after a large eruption.

There are no inlets or outlets to the lake. Generous amounts of winter snow, averaging 533 inches per year, supply the lake with water. Crater Lake is the seventh deepest lake in the world and the deepest in the United States.

After exploring a trail I just sat at the lodge looking into the water. It was so beautiful and serene. If I had been on the trip alone I could have sat all day on the deck of the lodge just watching and pondering into the immensly beautiful lake sitting before me.

We left Crater headed for Klamath Falls where we stopped for the night. My grandmother had a bad day and we're not meeting up with her tonight, but instead tomorrow morning.
.
A view of Crater Lake and the little island in the middle which is Wizard Island
Carson, Me, Joel Rebekah



I really wanted more of the Lake in the next 2 pics, but when a ten year old is your photographer I guess you take what you can get.







3 comments:

Jer said...

Beautiful lake. You've got to be loving the scenery. Driving is so much more bearable with fantastic scenery.

Jer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Courtney said...

LOVING the scenery! Its simply gorgeous!