Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Day 6 - Klamath Falls, Oregon

There was very little driving today and I was loving it! While our drive is in a comfy car and through some fantastically beautiful country, I think my back hates me. Between the car time and motel beds my poor back is in pain. First thing on the list when I'm home is a stop to the chiropractor. Maybe a massage too. ;-)

We met up with my grandmother and aunt today for brunch at a local favorite called Starvin' Marvin's. The food was good. The portions are huge and I had no chance of finishing my order. Carson insisted I order hot cocoa and since it is mid August I thought it was weird, but followed his request. The hot cocoa was good, but I understand why HE loved it so much. The waitress out whipped cream on top of the cocoa and the whipped cream was as tall as the mug itself. And then he got another tower of whipped cream when she came by to refill drinks.

After breakfast we headed out to meet my uncle at the house and let grandma take a nap. Carson, Joel, and Rebekah talked uncle Tom into letting them drive the riding lawnmower. Aunt Mel gave me a tour of the house and took time to fill me in on grandma's health.

I've heard stories about people with dementia and Alzheimer's but I've never seen it firsthand. Today that changed. At breakfast grandma didn't recognize me. Granted, she has had limited exposure to my life thanks to my mom's decisions while I was growing up, but I have tried to keep in contact and visit her regularly for the last 6 years or so. Several times while we were sitting on the patio talking after her nap I had to remind her what we were talking about and remind her who people were that were at the house. Many times she started to talk and the words literally were not there. She sat and thought and my heart just ached as I could see her working hard to tell me what she was thinking. God bless my aunt Mel for dealing with it everyday.

And speaking of aunt Mel let me just say I love being so much like that woman. She reminds me my strong personality is fine. She reminds me to have a style of my own. She is where I get my love of accessories and seltzer water and funky dishes and a love of entertaining. She looks like she could be my mom (I LOVE that I look so much like her and hope I age as she has). She is brave. She loves to laugh. She is full of heart.

We said our goodbyes and I couldn't help but wonder if I'd have another visit with my grandmother and if I did would she be fully unable to communicate or even recognize me.



3 generations: Grandma, Aunt Mel, Rebekah and me




Aunt Mel and me


No comments: