Today we headed into Long Beach for a day trip to Catalina Island via the Catalina Express. The city of Avalon on Catalina Island holds a special place in my heart. My mother and her brothers and parents lived on Catalina. This was my first time seeing the island they have told me stories of since I was a young girl.
Avalon is about a mile walk from end to end and there is a pedestrian path that guides tourists along the shore. We enjoyed our walking tour that took us to the Casino, the Yacht Club, the Tuna Club, and the more secluded cove of Descanso beach. The streets of Avalon are filled with quaint shops and kitchy souvenirs.
The sunshine felt so good today! There was a slight breeze and the temperature was in the mid 70's. It was such a nice day!
We ate lunch at El Galleon where I tried a Scallone Sandwich. It was so good! I wanted fish and this was a sandwich of scallops and abalone. This was the first time I've eaten abalone and I will gladly eat it again! The fish was breaded in egg and grilled instead of being dipped in bread crumbs and deep friend. I loved it!
After lunch we visited Lloyd's of Catalina which is best known for its taffy. I enjoyed an ice cream cone with a scoop of pistachio and a scoop of coconut pineapple ice cream. It was a delightful treat!!!
The last hour on the island was spent sitting in the warm sun and watching the waves roll in and out of middle beach. When we arrived back in Long Beach the palm tree lined harbor looked very beautiful in the setting sun.
Wednesday, November 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment